Friday, April 11, 2008

Warm Water Wonderland - Florida Trip (March/April 2008)


In light of the challenges associated with my last two dives, I was really looking forward to my escape to Florida with my husband and his kids, James (20), Sarah (19) and Daniel (17). I know, hardly “kids.” The kids were scheduled to get their Open Water certification after doing the PADI online training. Mark and I would be diving along side of them for their boat dives, and then the plan was to head to the Keys and do some diving with their new certification! I should know by now that, despite all my anal retentive planning, things absolutely never go as intended.

It all started with the wind. Southeasterly winds (if I remember correctly) at about 20 knots. We arrive at South Florida Dive Headquarters with the wind at our backs, ready to check the kids in for their pool sessions. After the hellos and introductions, Ed, the instructor’s face screws up and in comes the bad news. The winds are making the seas unfriendly, so they aren’t sure if we can get their certification dives in before we head to the Keys. Not a problem, we rearrange the Keys portion. And off they go to the pool. Funny set-up: South Florida Dive uses the pool at a local hotel which sits beautifully on the intercoastal. Better yet (for us at least), there is a bar right by the pool. I LOVE Florida. So we hang out by the pool, kids getting their instruction as little kids swim by or stand around watching with extreme interest at the goings on with their class. A drink later, I am relaxing as the rain comes pouring in, but not thunder/lightning so that the class can continue.

After about 5 hours in the pool, the kids emerge, water-logged but excited with prune-like fingers. I check in that evening with Sherry of SFDH and get told we told that they have a back-up plan, call in the morning. In the morning, the winds are preventing the boat from going out into the open seas but that we should report at 2:30 for high tide, the kids will be heading out to the bay around Lighthouse Point and, at high tide, there is enough water in the bay to qualify for their first 2 open water dives. Better yet, it will be silty, so they will have a chance to experience low visibility diving. Good.

That afternoon, we arrived and Ed and the kids load all their gear on to the Safari Diver Boat and the 6 of us and Captain headed out for the Bay. Arriving, the water is just deep enough but there is quite a bit of water movement. Soon Ed has them in the water and descending to start their first dives. Mark and I hang out watching their bubbles and catching some sun on the back of the boat, watching some kiteboarders who are taking advantage of the strong winds to have some fun on the Atlantic.

Soon the divers emerged, big smiles on their faces, chattering about the fish that they saw, how cool it was. They practiced taking apart their gear and then Ed gives them a briefing. Soon there are doing their giant stride off the back of the boat heading towards their 2nd dive. I got a green light permission slip from the Captain and dove off the boat - no gear, just me felt so liberating. The initial chill of the mid-70 degree water soon gave way to relaxation as I tread water on the surface, swimming around to see the kids under the water working on their drills. Soon Mark joined in, diving off the high sides of the boat, relaxing in the warm Atlantic waters in the bay. When the kids came out after their second dive, they got a good report from Ed and we were off back to the Marina.



Next day, we are scheduled to go again – this time, hopefully, to the Ocean. Arriving at 8:15 AM, the kids get their rental gear and we meet the other diver scheduled to go out on the boat. Soon, three other divers have showed up and so we are 10 divers and one divemaster and a captain and the Safari Diver is looking like it is going to be a pretty full experience. Everyone gets on board, starts setting up their gear…..and its tight. Looking around at the other divers, I quickly realize that I am thankful I’ve been “schooled” in how to pack a boat bag as I am finding that the guy next to me has no clue whatsoever and has hauled his large roll-on bag into his space and mine and has no qualms whatsoever about taking up all of the available space. Determined now to let it get to me, I quickly get my gear ready to go and soon we are off to dive!

Heading out along the intercoastal is just beautiful. The people of Florida don’t know how beautiful their area is – with stunning homes, sunning Iguanas, sunshine and water everywhere. Enjoying the view, I slipped into my 3mm suit, smiling at the ease of getting it on compared to my normal 7mm. Rounding out of the intercoastal and into the now familiar bay, we see the ocean raging against the stone walls leading out to the Atlantic. Despite it being diveable, it is going to be sporty getting out there. I quietly reminded the kids to keep their eyes on a substantial landmark, knowing full and well that I, too, would need to do the same. And sure enough, soon we are in the thick of some pretty bumpy and rocking seas. I don’t think that there was one diver, except for Ed, who didn’t get queasy.

Soon the captain announced our arrival at Lighthouse Ledge and the gate was opened. Getting to the end of the boat was sporting, divers in slippery fins and heavy gear trying to get to the gate while the boat is bucking around is a challenge, but the promise of an awesome dive always lures divers to get to the end of the boat.
Mark and I would be following Ed, James, Sarah and Daniel on one flag for their first ocean dive and soon they were in while the Captain swung the boat around and we plunked in, swimming over to their flag. As soon as we were in the water, they began their descent, fully conscious of the fact that it would help any seasickness to get their heads under. With the water clarity, Mark and I began our descent and quickly located them. An easy dive, coasting over the reef, barrel sponges and schools of fish was relaxing, photographing Sarah, James and Daniel in their new environment was rewarding and challenging (since I don’t often have the opportunity to photograph divers in Monterey because of the visibility).

Soon we were joined by fish, tons of various grunts, Creole Wrasse (Clepticus parrae) (blue) while watching Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) playfully bob in and out of the various barrel sponges. Swimming over reef ledges we were delighted by the various tube worms quickly tucking themselves back into the coral and other rocky areas, reminding us that we were in a world in which we not normally invited. After about 25 minutes, Ed, James, Daniel and Sarah decided to end their dive as someone was low on air. Handing off the dive flag, they ascended in the water column without the assistance of an anchor line. Words can’t express how proud I was of them, knowing that ascents and safety stops can be difficult without a line, especially as new divers! Mark and I continued our dive, finding a nice sandy part of the reef where Mark enjoyed a rest, actually sitting down in the sand, while I swam around, videoing and photographing the reef and all the grunts that had joined us. After about 20 or so minutes, we began our ascent, doing a leisurely 4 minute safety stop at 15-18 feet, me attempting to do it in a horizontal, face down position (for the record it is not easy, but very relaxing).

Conditions on the surface were not any better and reentry onto the boat was a bit challenging. Mark got on first and found his position, while I waited a safe distance away from the boat until he was onboard. While swimming on the surface, I noticed that we were the last divers to surface.
On board, we swapped out tanks and the captain moved us around to the next site – Sunkist Reef. We took our own flag this time because of our required surface interval and the pressing need to get Sarah, James and Daniel back in the water to prevent further sea sickness. Watching everyone jump in, we decided it was in the best interests of everyone for us to get back in so that no one was stuck on the surface for very long after their dive, given the conditions. I knew, however, that our computers would give us a relatively short dive as a result. Sure enough, at the bottom, we were advised that our dive time would be approximately 39 minutes at the depth we were sitting on. So, we found a pretty patch of reef and took turns snapping photos of the reef and its inhabitants. Unfortunately our dive time soon ended with a considerable amount of gas remaining in our tank. Beginning our ascent, we took our time, Mark gently winding up the flag’s rope and did another nice, long safety stop. Again, we were the last divers on the boat and as soon as we were onboard and our gear was tied down, Captain was hauling back to the Marina.

The talk soon started and I listened as the other group of divers talked about their experiences. I was surprised to learn that, of all the paid customers, Mark and I had the most experience and were the only coldwater divers. I thought of how that aligned with what I witnessed and it reaffirmed my beliefs (and yes, I am biased) that cold water diving gives birth to a different kind of diver, one more conscious, more able. Not to say that I am an able diver because I am just a novice. But I dive regularly, more so than those that visit somewhere warm once or twice and dive. The challenges of cold water diving – the environment, the conditions, the gear – make for a more solid diver, a community that I am immensely proud to be considered a part of.

Overall, I was amazed by the sheer numbers and types of fish that we encountered. In Monterey, we get varieties of rockfish, but nothing like this. All in all, we were amazed at the variety of fish life. Mark’s favorites were the Stoplight Parrotfish (Sparisoma viride) and the Blackbar Soldierfish (Myripristis jacobus), beautiful in its mosaic pattern. I enjoyed the Harlequin Bass (Serranus Tigrinus) I found hovering under some coral, but was really in love with the Yellow Coris, the Sharpnose Puffer (Canthigaster rostrata) with its blue eye markings resembling makeup and the lovely Cocoa Damselfish (Stegastes variabilis) who coyly swam in an out of a hole in a sponge, toying with my desires to get a good photo of her swimming out. But most delightful to watch was on the second dive while, of course, Mark had the camera. Over a pitted part of the reef along a ledge was a beautiful black and white Spotted Trunkfish (Lactophyrus bicaudalis), its little fins like wings, flitting it in and out of the various holes, teasing me because I didn’t have the camera in my hands! But it was absolutely enchanting to watch it duck in and out of the reef, curiously unaware of my presence, while I watched and listened to my breathing, relaxed.

Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate for the remainder of our trip. The four days of diving I had planned ended up being only one. Regardless, we had a wonderful time in Florida and are extremely proud that Sarah, James and Daniel are all troopers for sticking with it despite being seasick and are now certified divers! With that, I am looking forward to replacing my camera and getting back in my chilly backyard Monterey and shooting more macro with my friends and local divers.



Many thanks to everyone at South Florida Diving Headquarters (http://www.southfloridadiving.com/), especially Sherry and Captain Dick (both of whom tirelessly endured all of my questions!). A warm thank you to to Instructor Ed who was an absolutely wonderful, patient and informative instructor. Additionally, we'd like to thank Admiral Brenda and Captain Gary at Conch Republic (http://www.conchrepublicdivers.com/) - despite the fact we didn't get to dive with you, you were most welcoming at the shop, and we look forward to diving with you on our next trip to the Keys!



Favorite Photo:
Cocoa Damselfish (Stegastes variabilis)

Dive Statistics:
Dive #56 – Wednesday, 04/02/08 – “Lighthouse Ledge” – Lighthouse Point / Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 9:49 AM. Max depth 62 feet, average depth 51 feet. Bottom time 48 minutes (approximately 600 PSI remaining at the end of the dive). Water temp 75°, vis approximately 35-45 feet. Surface interval 38 minutes.

Dive #57 – Wednesday, 04/02/08 – “Sunkist Reef” – Lighthouse Point / Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 11:25 AM. Max depth 50 feet, average depth 42 feet. Bottom time 40 minutes (residual time 60 minutes) (approximately 1200 PSI remaining at the end of the dive). Water temp 75°, vis approximately 40 -45 feet.

3 comments:

Jeff Dooley said...

Love the blue stripe grunts. You'll see millions more of 'em when you go to Coz.

Looks like a really fun group you were with!

Diving_Adventures_Lisa said...

Wonderful trip report and photos! Isn't Ed just the nicest guy?!? I really enjoyed diving with him back in February!

Sarah Goes Scuba Diving said...

Ed is really fantastic. Sarah, James and Daniel had nothing but really wonderful things to say about him, and Mark and I couldn't have agreed more. I was really impressed.